In a bid to promote the film industry across the 47 counties of Kenya, the Kenya Film Commission has established Reel County Film Festival under the “My County My Story” programme aimed at growing the local film industry. The Reel County Film Festival will provide a platform for local filmmakers to come together and share knowledge and capacities in order to make a stronger impact on cultural, social and economic development of audio-visual products in the counties.
As the name implies, filmmakers within Kenya’s 47 counties will come together and create content that promote the cultural, social and economic activities of their respective counties. The content created by the different counties will tell stories, feature prominent people (historical or current), and/or feature locations of the counties. The content created will then be offered for selection into the Reel County Film Festival.
The content up for the selection for the festival includes:
- Feature Films
- Short films
Due to current COVID 19 protocols, the Commission will execute a Virtual Reel County Film Festival. The festival will be a 4-day event running from the 23rd to 26th of June 2021 and will comprise of the following:
- Virtual screenings of submitted content
- Panel discussions – Film reviews
- Virtual workshops
Once the content is received, a jury of 5 members drawn from the Commission and the film industry, will shortlist content from the various categories listed above and identify the top productions that will be screened during the festival.
Virtual screenings of submitted content
The virtual screenings will take place on the Kenya Film Commission YouTube channel. Each day will feature screenings of the selected productions. The Commission will award the producers of the content a screening fee as follows:
- Feature Films – Ksh. 70,000
- Short Films – Ksh. 70,000
- Documentaries – Ksh. 70,000
- Animation – Ksh. 70,000
Once the content has been screened, it will not be retained in the channel so as to avoid downloading of this content by the public.
Panel Discussions – Film Review
At the end of the screening of each production, a panel comprising of film professionals will hold film review discussions.
At the end of each screening day, a one-hour virtual workshop will be conducted on the specific categories for the day. These workshops are meant to capacity build filmmakers on the things to consider when doing their next productions.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This content must comply with the duration listed below:
- Feature Films (min 60 mins)
- Short films (7-40 mins)
- Documentaries (20-40 mins)
- Animation (5-10 mins)
All the Content submitted for consideration MUST be classified by Kenya Film Classification Board (KFCB). The film must comply with government regulations on taste and decency. www.kfcb.co.ke
- Content must be locally produced by a Kenyan production company and featuring Kenyan actors. Preference will be given to content produced within the Counties.
- Content can be in scripted or unscripted formats.
- Content should be fully edited and ready for screening
- Content submitted is open to all genres.
- Content can be in any language but in sections that are not in English or Kiswahili, subtitles MUST be provided.
- Provide copies without any branding or watermarks as it hampers vetting and screening of the same. Watermarked content will be disqualified.
- Attach a Synopsis for your content (Max 400 words).
Content submitted must have been produced after 2015
Only one submission per title is required i.e., do not submit the same content more than once.
Each submission should include: –
- Submission copy in Digital (We Transfer)
- Fully completed entry form
For Submissions, kindly submit your content via WeTransfer to the email: email@example.com . A dully completed form should also be submitted together with the film.
For enquiries you may call 020-2714073/4 / +254 729 407497/ 733 650068 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening Date: Entries will be received from 24th May 2021
Closing Date: All entries must be received by 11th June 2021
During the selection process for the Festival, all entries must be received on We Transfer.
DECISIONS AND SELECTION
- A committee of film professionals from the industry will review all the entries and select them accordingly for screening at the festival
- The Committee’s decision will be final and no discussions will be entered into.
- Kenya Film Commission accepts no responsibility for late, misdirected, lost, undelivered or illegible entries.
- Failure to comply with these Terms and Conditions will result in disqualification and an alternate may be selected at the discretion of the Committee and the Kenya Film Commission Board and Management.
PLEASE NOTE: If the Production uses material (including music) that may be owned by a third party (or if a third party has any right or interest in such material), you will be required to give the Kenya Film Commission written proof that the third party has consented to the use of the material for the purpose of making the production. To promote fairness to other artistes, Kenya Film Commission may disqualify any submission that lacks approval for the use of third-party materials.
KENYA FILM COMMISSION’S RIGHTS
- You hereby grant the Kenya Film Commission the non-exclusive and irrevocable right to broadcast and/or exhibit (and authorize to any third party the broadcast/exhibition of) submitted trailers of the Film and program in all media (including, without limitation, television, video on demand, satellite video on demand, multimedia distribution systems, ADSL, internet and mobile/handheld devices) during the selection and festival with the aim of promoting the film festival.
- All material created by Kenya Film Commission featuring excerpts of the production is and shall remain the property of Kenya Film Commission.
- Kenya Film Commission shall have the right to copy the Films and programs (or clip(s) of it) and to send such copies to the Selection Committee for the purpose of reviewing the content and of promoting the festival
- Selected Content will be screened on the Commissions YouTube channel during the festival (trailers only to be screened by broadcast houses and remain on YouTube during and after the festival). Entering your Content in the Reel County Film Festival therefore is deemed consent for the usage of the same.
- The right to broadcast trailers for the entries for publicity to create awareness of the contents of any entries is hereunder given without prejudice by the appendage of the signature of the authorized official submitting the entry.
THIRD PARTY COPYRIGHT
You warrant and confirm that you own or have obtained all rights and/or releases necessary including without limitation:
- All rights, releases and/or copyright clearance in relation to all material included in the production owned or controlled by a third-party including music, literary, dramatic and/or artistic works;
- Releases for all locations featured in the Film;
- Consents from all persons featured in, portrayed or contributing to the filming and production of the project, including the director;
- License to use all copyright work used in the production or required for its exploitation, including scripts;
- In order to allow the Kenya Film Commission to promote the festival, the films, or the programs submitted, you hereby consent to Kenya Film Commission (and its partners) editing and cutting in order to exercise the rights granted to them hereunder and to the use by the Kenya Film Commission any content from the production in conjunction with other content and materials in the exercise of their rights hereunder granted.
- You agree to provide the name and biography of all those involved in the production of the Film or program including actors and directors and grant the Kenya Film Commission the right to use such information in promoting the Festival.
- You agree, and will use reasonable efforts, to procure that other participants in the Film or program agree to take part in reasonable publicity for the Festival as requested by the Kenya Film Commission.
- You warrant and represent that you have the right to enter into this Agreement and to grant the rights set out herein.
- You warrant and represent that nothing in the Film or program is obscene, defamatory, and libelous or breaches Government rules.
You indemnify and hold harmless the Kenya Film Commission, and its affiliated Corporations, from and against any and all claims, suits, liabilities, judgments and Damages arising out of a breach by you of any of the obligations, representations or Warranties contained in these Terms and Conditions.